I’m excited to share this post by my friend Jennifer, who is a Master Herbalist. Jennifer has a wealth of knowledge about natural wellness and herbal remedies. Today she’s sharing with us a new mom checklist of 10 all-natural things you’re going to want to have after giving birth. I got some of her postpartum herbal bath bags to prep for when my little one arrives in December and I can’t wait to use them!
Let’s face it, being a Mom is hard work! BUT being a “New Mom” is even harder! Our emotions are going haywire between exhaustion, elation and just plain ‘ole feeling erratic. This blog would be way too long to tackle all of this but how about we talk about a little immediate assistance for New Mom who had a vaginal birth.
Plan ahead and stock these in your home. There are many resources online but my favorites include…
- Maxi Pads for additional bleeding and “Big” underwear.
- Postpartum Herbal Bath Bags for tearing of perineum (check out this link from yours truly http://theherbalcabinet.com/cart/postpartum-herbal-bath-bag).
- Peri Squirt Bottle – make your own. Use an 8 oz. bottle with a squirt top. Now…I want you to use excellent quality essential oils. Add 3 drops of Frankincense essential oil, 3 drops of Helichrysum and fill the rest with witch hazel. Use each time you empty your bladder or have a bowel movement. You’ll want to make a much larger bottle so that you can refill this often.
(My Soapbox: You get what you pay for with essential oils and you are worth the best right?!?! Use an excellent quality brand.)
- An Ice Pack. Helps relieve pain around the perineum.
- Cold and warm compresses, combined with gentle massage, might help with breast and nipple pain. I love recommending Myrrh essential oil topically on the breast and nipple to help with cracking and soreness, particularly right before a cold or warm compress.
- Comfy Clothes!
- Healthy snacks that include protein, healthy fats, veggies and whole fruit! Portion out as much as you can ahead of time and store in your pantry, refrigerator or freezer to easily grab when needed. Idea: At your baby shower, ask for things like this to be made for you!
- Help with Meals…ask friends and family ahead of time to help with meals for a couple weeks. This gives you more time to spend with your baby and helps you get your much needed rest.
- Clean House? Do NOT worry about this! It’ll get cleaned eventually.
- Lastly, get that essential oil diffuser going every day…day and night! Some favorites are Myrrh with Wild Orange. Myrrh is the “Oil of Mother Earth” and Wild Orange is very uplifting to our mood.
I’d love to hear your comments???